Yorkshire Building Society Group

Hybrid Cloud Workload Automation

Yorkshire Building Society Group cuts costs and improves efficiency with IBM Workload Automation Hybrid Licensing Model.

About Yorkshire Building Society Group

Founded in 1864, Yorkshire Building Society Group has grown to become the UK’s second largest building society with over 3.5 million members, over 4,000 employees and assets of over £30 billion. As a member owned, mutual organisation, Yorkshire Building Society Group’s vision is to be the most trusted financial services provider in the UK by delivering financial security, long-term value and excellent service to its members.

The Challenge

IBM Workload Scheduler (IWS) has been operational within Yorkshire Building Society Group’s infrastructure since the late 1990’s. In 2012, they were using IWS across just 20% of the YBS Group server estate, and native schedulers such as CRON and WinTab for the remaining 80%. The use of multiple tools had led to a complex environment that was difficult for the Production Services Team to manage, and a requirement to run jobs manually where integration with applications such as Oracle Financials and Business Objects was required. In addition, the lack of a centralised view meant that errors could easily be missed.

To overcome their challenges, Yorkshire Building Society Group wanted to extend the use of IWS to a far larger proportion of their server estate. Their requirements however entailed running a small number of jobs across a large number of servers, and since the traditional processor value unit (PVU) based licensing model for IWS was ideally suited to a small number of servers running a high number of jobs, the cost for purchasing the additional licenses they would require was prohibitive to YBS Group.

The Solution

Yorkshire Building Society Group started speaking to Elyzium, IBM’s most experienced IWS Business Partner, in early 2013. They commissioned Elyzium to undertake an assessment of the YBS Group scheduling environment, not only taking into consideration the existing small IWS environment, but additionally YBS Group’s server estate as a whole. The assessment included a licensing cost analysis, which demonstrated clearly the costs for YBS Group to extend their IWS scheduling capabilities to a larger percentage of servers, using firstly the traditional PVU licensing model, and secondly the newly introduced per-job-pricing (PJP) model. The PJP model is designed for organisations running a low number of jobs on a high number of servers, so was the ideal solution for YBS Group to extend their existing IWS environment in a cost effective manner. As a result of the assessment and licensing cost analysis, the YBS Group team were able to build a strong business case to take to the Senior Management Team, which was subsequently approved.

YBS Group is now using IWS across 50% of their servers in 6 different environments.

“Elyzium’s expertise and advice has been invaluable to YBS Group. As experts in the field of Workload Automation, and as IBM’s most accredited IWS Business Partner, Elyzium was able to advise us about IBM’s PJP licensing model, enabling the significant expansion of the IWS environment within YBS Group without exceeding budgets. We are now able to deliver the benefits of a modern, robust, flexible and high availability workload automation environment with little manual intervention, and enjoy peace of mind that our future needs are catered for.” - Nigel Jowett, YBS Group.

The Business Outcome

  • The hybrid licensing model increased IWS usage from 20% to 50% of servers
  • Reduction in management effort required and associated operational costs
  • “Single-pain-of-glass” control
  • The hybrid licensing model using PVU and PJP allowed YBS Group to install and use IWS where previously it was perceived to be too expensive
  • Gradual eradication of all the different types of manual batch submission, including CRON and WinTab
  • A more flexible and agile IT Workload Automation solution with the ability to easily cater for existing and future Workload Automation needs, including mobile technology